Saturday, December 19, 2009

the start...

a letter to friends announcing the start of something small, but hopefully significant...

----------------------------------------------------------------

friends,

3 years ago I spent time in Guatemala working with coffee farmers, and what had been a passion for exquisite coffee morphed into a bigger idea to one day merge that passion with my desire to impact the world -- particularly the disadvantaged. And as (RED), fair trade campaigns, & most recently Starbucks like to remind us, coffee farmers are disadvantaged.

After talking a big game in the last 3 - 4 years about impact, the world, coffee, etc ... I figured it was time to put up or to shut up and I think I'm ready to start exploring what this looks like. This is not a new niche and I still don't know what this dream / this concept will become. I'm not quitting my day job anytime soon (& perhaps never will) -- because I really do enjoy it & I also think Wells Fargo would like me to honor my mortgage ;).

I'm writing you for three reasons:

1) Each of you have encouraged me over the years. Thank you!

2) I've ordered a real-deal coffee roaster that I'd like to pay for, and if you want to be a test case for the Bold Brew Roasting Co, I'll be happy to offer you a hand roasted pound of coffee:

- $10 / lb in my signature (& eco-friendly reusable) Ball jars
- $8 / lb in a plastic bag
- You pick the blend & the roast
- I cover shipping on your first order (for out of towners)
- For taking a chance on these early days, if this ever goes anywhere & I reach the ideal price point of $13 - 15 / lb, I'll lock you into $10 in perpetuity.
- If you ever don't like a batch, its on the house.
- I'm always happy to send small tasters if you're not yet interested in a full pound or giving up your Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, or otherwise mediocre coffee ;).

3) I hope we each step out of our comfort zone and try one idea that's peculating in our heads.

As I perfect the product, build a brand & customer base, & improve distribution, the goal would be to directly trade with specific farmers. And one day I hope to create a physical space in urban areas that draws conversation, ideas, art, personal exchange, and culture in the way that Paris' Left Bank saw in the early 20th century. One day...

As for the subject line...the coffee I've been roasting these last 9 months has converted me from a "cream & sugar guy" to "drinking coffee naked". I figured that my old friends cream & sugar were happy I discovered such good coffee -- they've worked hard for me (& you) all these years & needed a vacation.

I invite you into this exciting step but more importantly hope that we can push each other to take our own personal leaps.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

drink coffee naked - its liberating.
your truly,
cream & sugar

No comments:

Post a Comment